more Christmas sewing! i think y'all know about my dress up boy?
I made a monster suit for Asa:
as toddlers, all the kids have worn this 'monster for sale' suit:
this is Lee- age 1 1/2 or so!
this suit was handmade by ?? (it was a mystery hand-me-down found hanging on our doorknob one day) - pants and a hoodie with ridges down the back. Asa loved it the most. i had to wash it every night or so because he wore it absolutely whenever possible. Before Christmas, Maxine was wearing it and he said, longingly, "I wish that still fit me!!"
Asa LOVES his new monster suit!!
it is such a success that the pants are now in my mending pile because he has already worn a hole in one knee!! i better get on that...I also made him a royal cloak and crown which have not been so popular! this is Asa on Christmas morning trying them both on- i kind of like the Dragon King look.
he had seen very similar items at a fancy museum shop and was DESPERATE to have them- but i guess it was the moment and the packaging more than an actual desire to dress as a king.
i don't really mind though, because the thrill of having him 'love the monster suit SO MUCH MAMA!' is worth it!
monster suit: i sort of just made it up, using clothes that fit him to pull a pattern off of, and a pattern i had for
a hood from his Halloween costume. the ridges were supposed to be from
the same fabric, but i didn't have enough, so i used this green sort of
furry fleece to make them and to line the hood. to make the ridges i
sewed two long rectangles that were lined with fusible interfacing and
then drew a zig zag pattern on the wrong side to follow- clipped the
corners, turned it right side out and hand sewed it on the hoodie.
king: i really winged it for the cloak- cut a square of the red brocade that i had in my stash (thrifted curtains) and a square of red fleece, sewed them together with a folded strip of white faux fur inside (i did it wrong the first time and had to unpick it- ahem), then put a few pleats at the top and sewed on the collar- after it was all done i put on the black spots with fabric paint.
oh, and happy new year!!!